Sunday, April 3, 2011

Desperation.

Let's just say that Winter this year sucked. Now that Spring is officially here, I am looking forward to riding, gardening, and the flush of creative energy that warmer weather always brings. I work better with a healthy dose of Vitamin D.

But Mother Nature, cruel bitch, is not cooperating. Rain, snow, mixed with some cold and windy, albeit sunny days, do not a perfect Spring make. This weekend is no exception. Two days of blissful sun. The problem lies in the frigid, gale force wind that makes being outside not too much fun.

Still, the riding bug has me in it's venomous grasp. Tucker got new shoes the day before we were blessed with a misserable rain and snow mix. So when I heard the forecast for this weekend-temperatures in the fifties, sun, et.- I ambitiously planned to saddle up and at least attempt to ride.

Tucker read my mind. Which meant that yesterday, he was holding up his left front foot and yelling, "Ouchy!" in his horsey way. I checked him for the ususal suspects, a nail that went too high through the hoof wall, a stone stuck in his foot, maybe a gaping wound, but nothing shouted, "Here's the problem." His hoof was warm and there was a pounding pulse in his ankle. ARGH.

Two doses of horse aspirin, a good soak in epsom salts(his foot, not me, unfortunately), and a liberal slathering of poultice (some on his hoof, most on me) I wrapped a diaper around the offending appendage to keep it clean while the poultice did it's work. I secured everything with duct tape and said goodnight.

The sky today is blue and the sun is strong. It's breezy and although there is still a chill in the air, it's the best day we've had in a while. I checked Tucker again after lunch. He trotted over limping only slightly. He's mending quickly. I'm sure by tomorrow he will be fine; it's supposed to rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment