Monday, April 25, 2011

A Game of Thrones

Jumping for joy. Doing the happy dance. I'm as giddy as a teenager at a rock concert!

A Game of Thrones has begun. Winter is coming. So excited.

When I first saw the preview, the unfurling of the crow's wings started the flutter in my stomach.

Could it be? Or is this something else? Then those words melted onto the screen. Winter is coming.

Mr. W. watched my contortions with concern. I hooted, then verklempt, then fist-pumpingly ecstatic. I could not wait. And I hoped it would live up to my expectations. In the weeks that followed, I started to reread the book. It was everything I remembered; everything I hoped my own BFNE(formerly CFN) could be.

April 17th came. I watched avidly. Mr. W.came out from the office about fifteen minutes into the replay, which I needed to watch. I wanted this to sink in. It was like having seconds of your favorite dessert. Awesome. The creators, who did, apparently, rely heavily on George R.R. Martin, creator/author, stayed true to the story; it was very close to how I imagined. Gritty, dark, utterly believable. My only complaint was the need for HBO to focus so much on the sex scenes. Yes, they are integral to the story, but I was unaware that doggie-style equates with medieval fantasy. My bad. The beheadings did not bother at all. Sean Bean as Ned Stark and Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister- perfection.

Of course, Mr. W.'s only comment after the brutal introduction was, "Sweatheart, you read some really dark shit."

Yes. Yes, I do. And relish every moment of it.

This series has me ubergeeked. I can't wait for Sundays at 9pm. I have it DVRed. So here's to Starks and Lannisters, direwolves and dragons, the Dothraki across the sea and Wildlings beyond the Wall. May they prosper and the seasons continue. If you don't know what I mean, my apologies. I'm off to do my happy dance. Hopefully, you are off to watch the pilot episode online.

No comments:

Post a Comment